The life of St. Benedict, the founder of Western Monasticism, blends with one of the most fierce battles of World War II on the site of the Abbey of Montecasino.
Heading South of Rome along the Highway of the Sun , the approximately one and a half hours' drive culminates with a breathtaking winding road going up to the Abbey perched on the mountain top.
Originally founded by Saint Benedict in 529, making it one of Europe's oldest monasteries, the abbey became known as a center of culture and art. Destroyed and rebuilt throughout the centuries, it became a refuge for civilians during World War II as a seemingly impenetrable fortress high up in the mountains. The Gustav Line, a German defensive line designed to hold the Allied troops from advancing any further into Italy, stretching from the Tyrrhenian to the Adriatic coast, included the area around Montecassino and thus the abbey became a target itself, being almost completely destroyed by a series of heavy American-led air raids.
After the war, the abbey was carefully rebuilt following the original plan and Pope Paul VI reconsecrated it in 1964.
Since then the monks in the monastery live their lives according to St. Benedict's rule of 'Ora and Labora', and visitors must observe a strict visiting schedule ( from 9:00 - 12:30 AM and 3:30 - 5:30 PM/until 6:30 in summer) as well as a dress code (no shorts, mini-skirts or uncovered shoulders). On Sundays, the church cannot be visited during Mass.
We would highly recommend our guests that they visit the monastery with a local guide who will introduce you to the fascinating century-long history of this sacred place. Please ask our office for more information.
- the Abbey of Montecassino
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle with pick up and drop off at your hotel
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283