After leaving the port of Civitavecchia you will drive northeast for approximately 30 minutes through the countryside to reach Tarquinia. This medieval town has the greatest Etruscan museum in the world, with well-preserved sarcophagi, paintings, tombs, frescoes from the 6th to 1st centuries B.C. and the largest Etruscan necropolis.
The heart of Southern Etruria rises 133m above sea-level on a plateau from which it scenically overlooks the Marta River valley and the Tyrrhenian Sea. Visit the aristocratic Palazzo Vitelleschi, in itself a masterpiece of Gothic-Renaissance architecture, now housing the National Museum. Proceed to the Etruscan necropolis, just outside the town that includes the most beautiful and well-preserved tombs of the ancient world, which bear witness to the cult of the dead of a fascinating and enigmatic people. They are unique in themselves and only comparable with the Egyptian tombs.
Enjoy lunch in a typical local trattoria then set out for Tuscania another Etruscan town ,which gained much importance due to its strategic position. In the Medieval historical center, the beautiful Roman basilica of San Pietro (VIII-XI-XIII cent.) stands on the old Etruscan acropolis, and boasts a unique architecture and 13th century facade with symbols of the Evangelists. Inside the church you may find elegant decorations and beautiful art works. A second church, Santa Maria Maggiore (VIII-XII cent.), now out of the inhabited area, is also worth seeing. The architecture of this church is Romanesque and there are some fancy images on the façade that you will enjoy. Don't miss the two free standing columns placed at the entrance of the church, the design of which has been copied from the Temple of Solomon at Jerusalem.
This tour is not available on Monday.
- Etruscan Necropolis
- Museum of Tarquinia
- lunch in the countryside
- beautiful churches
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience.
We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed. Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A Professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private air conditioned vehicle for the day
- Pick up and drop off at the port
- Guaranteed return to the pier on time
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283