Meet your driver at Trapani port and head for a 90 minute journey through Sicily to Palermo. Capital of Sicily, Palermo is a vibrant city which shows the typical fusion of foreign art, architecture, culture and life stlye. In the narrow streets of Palermo's old town you can admire elegant baroque and Norman monuments. Palazzo Normanni is one of them; a royal palace built by the Saracens in the 9th century, enlarged by the Normans and completed by the Spanish in the 17th century, it houses today the Sicilian Regional Parliament.
Continue to Piazza dei 4 Canti that divides the city into 4 quarters. Each corner is represented with: a season, a Patron Saint and a king of Sicily. Going North you can find the Cathedral founded in 1185 and intended to be the power base in the city. Visit the Royal tombs of the greatest kings and emperors the island has known.
The tour will then take you to the oldest area of the town where open air markets are held and where the best fish can be bought other than souvenirs and clothes. Drive by imposing theathers, the 19th-century Massimo that was used for the shooting of Godfather movie and teatro Politeama in the center of the city that includes 20th century sculpures.
If time permits, visit the Convent of the Capuccini. In here 8000 bodies of monks are preserved in the basements of the monastery with different chemical drying process including dehydration, use of vinegar and arsenic baths.
Next stop will be Monreale just 20 minutes North of Palermo. The cathedral of Monreale, the finest example of Norman architecture in Sicily, was built in the 12th century as part of a grand royal complex a few miles outside of Palermo. At the request of William the Good, a Norman king who fell headlong into the temptations of the East (his lifestyle would have embarrassed a sultan), Arab artists, Byzantine mosaicists and Norman architects worked together to create one of the wonders of the world. The interior of the cathedral is the Sistine Chapel of medieval Europe. It is a golden vision, a dream of the testaments, Old and New. The mosaics tell their stories in a downpour of colour, life and drama. It is as close as the visual arts can come to the power of music.
After the visit of the Duomo head back to Trapani, a place renowned for its fine seafood and Sicilian cuisine, where you can make a quick stop and try some of the local delicacies while admiring the medieval architecture of the old town.
- Palermo's main sights
- Norman Duomo of Monreale
- A taste of the local delicacies
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A Professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle for the day
- Pick up and drop off at the port
- Guaranteed return to the pier on time
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees if not mentioned
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283