The beautifully preserved ruins of Ostia Antica, Rome's ancient seaport, lie twenty miles from the modern metropolis, in the meadows between the Tiber River and the Tyrrhenian Sea. Founded, probably in the 4th century BC, as a military colony to guard the river mouth against seaborne invasions, Ostia served as a busy commercial port when Rome controlled all the Mediterranean in the 2nd century BC.
With the fall of Rome, the port was abandoned and shepherds with their herds settled in. This once thriving city of around 60,000 people gives a peek at Roman lifestyles with docks, warehouses, apartments and mansions, shops, baths and temples.
As you walk along Ostia's main street, the Decumanus Maximus, your feet settle into deep ruts left by the carts used to ferry merchandise and baggage between Rome and Ostia and you will discover the second best-preserved ancient Roman town after Pompeii.
Admission fee to Ostia antica is not included.
Read about the site
- Ancient Ostia - one of the most beautiful archaeological sites in Italy
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle with pick up and drop off at your hotel
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees please consider about 15.00 euro per person
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283