During this Day tour excursion from Rome you will have the chance to travel to real Italy, far away from the modern highways and large cities, in the heart of the Umbrian countryside, where small ancient villages are waiting to be discovered. One of them is Assisi, an oasis of art, architecture and spirituality and the home of Saint Francis, one of Italy's most beloved saints.
Leaving Rome in a northerly direction, you will cross the valley of the Tevere, passing by typical medieval villages such as Deruta, Todi e Perugia before arriving in Assisi. Here you will start your walk through the narrow streets of the village to see the church of Santa Chiara, containing the remains of Saint Clare, a follower of Saint Francis and founder of the Order of Poor Ladies, and then on to see the house where St. Francis was born and spent the first years of his life. You will then proceed to see the Town Hall Square with the People's Palace, and the Roman Temple dedicated to Minerva. All roads will take you to the Basilica of San Francesco. This grandiose and gorgeously embellished Basilica is a rather incongruous memorial to a man who preached and lived a simple life of poverty, abstinence, and renunciation of worldly goods in search of greater spirituality.
It is however, one of the world's most wonderful encounters between religion and art. Unique paintings by Cimabue, Pietro Lorenzetti, Simone Martini and Giotto, have made the Basilica of St. Francis a fundamental reference point for the development of Italian and European art and architecture.
After lunch, you will have the opportunity to visit the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli where you can see the Porziuncola Chapel, the place from where the Franciscan movement started, and the site where St. Francis died in 1226. Driving back to your hotel, revel in the memory of the day coming to its end.
Read about the site
- Basilica of Santa Chiara
- Basilica of San Francesco
- Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli and Porziuncola Chapel
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle with pick up and drop off at your hotel
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283