Thanks to the A29 highway heading out of Palermo, Sicily's West is now more integrated with the rest of the island than ever. Traditionally poor, its economy depends on fishing, small scale farming and now tourism.This area has been influenced by the Arab and Phoenician cultures rather than the Greek and Norman of elsewhere Sicily and it is quite sadly famous for its Mafia activity. You will be driving past the assassination site and memorial of the heroic magistrate and Mafia hunter, Giovanni Falcone, killed in a car bomb explosion with his wife and escort in 1992.
Arrive in Segesta, whose ancient Greek temple can make a valid claim to being the best preserved in the world, and its amphitheatre boasts a hilltop position on Mount Barbaro second to none. Segesta is also famous for its thermal baths. The waters have specific therapeutic indications and are used for skin treatments, respiratory and muscular-skeletal diseases. The baths’ temperature is around 46-47° C, and they are classified as hypo-thermal salt-sulfur radioactive springs. You will find therapeutic, mud and whirlpool baths, sauna caves, hot and humid inhalations, spa pools, and nasal irrigation and massages.
Next you will be driving by a stretch of 40 km with no industrial devolopment, vast beaches and small villages called Golfo di Castellammare. In particular, the coastline between the tuna fishing village of Scopello and San Vito Lo Capo resort embraces a big natural reserve called Zingaro, which offers evocative landscapes, small bays with sudden beaches, slopes, patches of mediterranean vegetation, a paradise for botanists, entomologists and tourists seeking beauty.
Scopello, a small but charming seaside village, is the southern gate of the Zingaro Natural Reserve. The town is organized around the central square, Piazza Nettuno and the famous farmhouse, dating back to the 18th century. According to some, the beauty of the place was captured by Homer, who set it as the final stage prior to the return of Ulysses to Ithaca: the Island of the Phaeacians would be just the bay of Scopello. If you wish, you can take time to do some tracking to reach a beautiful beach hidden between the mountains after a 30 minute walk. If not proceed to Castellammare del Golfo. Make sure you do not leave this place until you have tried the local bread called CUNSATU with sardine, pecorino cheese, tomatoes and origan..
- Temple and thermal baths of Segesta
- Unspoilt nature and spectacular panoramas
- Delightful local cuisine
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A Professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle for the day
- Pick up and drop off at the port
- Guaranteed return to the pier on time
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees if not mentioned
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283