Capital of Sicily, Palermo is a vibrant city which shows the typical fusion of foreign art, architecture, culture and life stlye. In the narrow streets of Palermo's old town you can admire elegant baroque and Norman monuments. Palazzo Normanni is one of them; a royal palace built by the Saracens in the 9th century, enlarged by the Normans and completed by the Spanish in the 17th century, it houses today the Sicilian Regional Parliament.
Continue to Piazza dei 4 Canti that divides the city into 4 quarters. Each corner is represented with: a season, a Patron Saint and a king of Sicily. Going North you can find the Cathedral founded in 1185 and intended to be the power base in the city. Visit the Royal tombs of the greatest kings and emperors the island has known.
Continue through the oldest area of Sicily where open air markets are held and where the best fish can be bought other than souvenirs and clothes. Drive by the imposing theathers, the 19th-century Massimo that was used for the shooting of Godfather movie and teatro Politeama in the center of the city that includes 20th century sculpures.
If time permits, visit the Convent of the Capuccini. In here 8000 bodies of monks are preserved in the basements of the monastery with different chemical drying process including dehydration, use of vinegar and arsenic baths.
Next stop will be Monreale just 20 minutes North of Palermo. Here you will visit the imposing Norman Duomo, one of the greatest architectural masterpieces of the Italian Middle Ages, famous for the interior gilded and polychrome mosaic decoration: 6400 sqm portraying scenes from the Old and New Testament. Drive to Mount Pellegrino and the shrine of St. Rosalia, and then descend to the picturesque bay of Mondello, whose numerous Liberty style villas on the seafront promenade make it one of the gems of Art Nouveau in Europe.
- Palermo's main sights
- Norman Duomo in Monreale
- The bay of Mondello
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A Professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle for the day
- Pick up and drop off at the port
- Guaranteed return to the pier on time
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees if not mentioned
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283