The tour start with a visit of Messina, "the gate of Sicily". The ancient Zancle experienced different dominations over the millennia and was destroyed by two earthquakes, the last of which, in 1908, razed it to the ground. But these tragedies did not erase its glorious past: for centuries Messina had been a major Mediterranean city, a flourishing port and the richest city in Sicily, vying with Palermo for the title of Capital of the Realm.
Passing some points of interest such us the church of San Francesco, the fountain of Neptune, we will proceed to the National Museum that houses works by Antonello da Messina and two masterpieces by Caravaggio: the Nativity and the Raising of Lazarus.
From here the tour will take you to the City Hall, the Church of the Annunziata dei Catalani and Piazza Duomo. To the left of the Cathedral you can't miss the 60m campanile and its incongruous astronomical clock, said to be the world's largest. Built in Strasbourg in 1733, it strikes at noon, setting in motion a procession of bronze automata that sets off a comical roaring lion and crowing cockerel.
We continue the excursion to Tindari, delightful locality on the Gulf of Patti. Founded by Syracusan merchants during the war against Carthage in 396 B.C., the ancient town of Tindari owes its name to Tyndareus, King of Sparta. Its history is a succession of tales, myths and legends that left indelible marks in the popular imagination. Nowadays the town is famous for the presence of a Black Madonna, still worshipped in a Santuary occupying an acropolis.. From the terrace in front of the church and the Greek theatre enjoy magnificent views of the Aeolian Islands..
- Messina's main sights
- The sanctuary of the Black Madonna
- Beautiful art and architecture
- Delightful local cuisine
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A Professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Please dress respectfully when visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle for the day
- Pick up and drop off at the port
- Guaranteed return to the pier on time
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees if not mentioned
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283